Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186)

Employer Nomination Scheme - Australia ImmigrationThis is a visa designed to award permanent residence for skilled workers. It allows you to work in Australia on a permanent basis. You can apply in or out of Australia, however if you apply in Australia you must hold a visa already or a bridging visa.

You may apply for this Visa if:

  • An Australian employer has nominated you (has to be approved).
  • You are between 18 – 50 years of age.
  • Meet the skills needed.
  • Speak English (unless exempt).
  • Meet the health requirements.

Criteria of the Nominator:

  • You must actively operate a lawful business in Australia.
  • You must offer this position in the applicants field for at least two years and it must be full time.
  • Pay market salary
  • You must have a genuine need for the nominee’s skills
  • Must comply with Australian immigration and workplace laws.

The nominator must nominate the skilled worker in one of the three streams and meet the requirements of that stream.

The three streams are as follows:

The Agreement Stream – this is for people who are sponsored by an employer through a labour agreement.

Direct Entry Pathway – this is for people who have been nominated by their employer, and have not previously worked in Australia before. If you have worked in Australia but only briefly you may still be able to take this route and temporary residents who do not qualify for the Transition Stream for Temporary Residence may also apply. This visa can take anywhere up to 11 months to process.

Transitional Stream Pathway – this is for subclass 457 visa holders who have worked for two years in the same occupation with their nominating employer. You may apply for this visa if you’ve been offered permanent employment in that occupation. This visa can take up to 9 months to process.

  • If you are over 50 years of age it is still possible to apply for this visa if you meet the following criteria:
  • You are a medical practitioner who has been operating in Australia with a previous visa for two of the four years.
  • You are applying through the Agreement Stream.
  • The Temporary Residence Stream allows you to apply as long as you have been working for at least four years before applying.
  • You’re nominated as an academic lecturer/ scientist/ researcher.

This visa lets you stay in Australia to work and study indefinitely, enroll in Australia’s health-related care, apply for citizenship (if you’re eligible), sponsor relatives for permanent residence, travel to and from Australia for five years from the date your visa is granted, (after this time scale you will need a resident return visa).

Relative Links:

Hi! How can we help you?

Click below button to start chat

Chat Icon
Chat Icon