The Australian government has put together a skilled workers list to use alongside their points based immigration system. In order to qualify for a skilled migration visa you must first select an occupation from the Skilled Occupation List. The occupations mentioned in the list are job roles that Australia is struggling to fill on its own. Australia relies heavily on skilled migrants to having a shortage of skilled labourers; therefore they look favourably on workers who are currently employed in one of these occupations.
The SOL is in place primarily to support the contribution of economic growth in low skilled areas. This list is suitable for skilled migrants who have been nominated by the State and the visas you can apply for are as listed below:
- Employer Nominated Scheme (subclass 186),
- Regional Sponsored Migrations Scheme (subclass 190),
- Temporary Work Skilled Visa (subclass 457),
- Training Visa or Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485).
Applicants will have to express interest through Skill Select and meet the requirements of the points test. Then they will receive an invitation from the Department of Immigration to apply for a relevant visa.
The following criteria should be met to apply for the visa:
- You must be 18 – 50 years old
- Have minimum of 7 bands of in each in IELTS or equivalent in PTE
- Should have a Nominated Occupation Code
- Should meet the 60 points eligibility criteria.
Some of the occupations listed in the ANZSCO (Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations) list include:
- Quantity Surveyor
- Accountant (General)
- Project Manager (Construction)
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon
- Roof Plumber
- Speech Pathologist
- Painting Trades Worker
- Land Economist
- Dental Hygienist
- Petroleum Engineer
- Agriculture Engineer
- Vascular Surgeon
- Fitter and Turner
- Fitter – Welder
- Obstetrician and Gynecologist
- Radiation Oncologist
- Ship Master
- Ship Officer
- ICT Business Analyst
- Software Engineer
- Wall and Floor Tiler
- Plumber (General)
- Lift Mechanic
- Air-conditioning and Refrigeration Mechanic
- Child Care Centre Manager
- Registered Nurse
- Emergency Medicine Specialist
The SOL is reviewed annually; whilst a number of occupations are flagged for future removal if there has been a boom in the labor market for that particular occupation.